Only five months after joining Google, Java creator and former Oracle employee James Gosling has announced that he’s leaving the search giant to become the Chief Software Architect for Liquid Robotics, a new firm that develops robots for maritime applications. Gosling posted about the move on his personal website: I’ve surprised myself and made another [...]
Just in time for Halloween, an amateur robotics hobbyist who goes by the handle WGhost9 posted some video in the Trossen Robotics forum of his latest creation: a six-legged, jack-o’-lantern-headed robot. The inventor of the robot calls his creation the Creeper2, and has designed it with expansion in mind. “The Creeper2’s large body contains expansion [...]
It’s not often that an underwater vehicle draws the interest of an artist or photographer, but such is the case with this photo. This pic — snapped by Robert Howshall and Ben Sheppard, undergrads in the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge — took top honors in a Nokia Photography Competition recently held [...]
If you’ve visited a museum over the last decade, chances are good that you’ve come across at least one robotic dinosaur that was created by the now-defunct Dinamation International Corporation. Dinamation was founded in the mid-1980s, and quickly gained fame by supplying life-size robotic dinosaurs to museums, amusement parks, and other venues. The company dissolved [...]
According to story in the Yomiuri Shimbun, Panasonic is planning to pit their diminutive Evolta cycling robot against the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans circuit in France on August 7th. The Evolta—named after the Panasonic AA Evolta batteries that power it—will try to lap the famed road course as many times in possible in [...]
After using Yahoo! web hosting for Nxtbot.com for more than three years, I’ve decided it’s time to move to a more capable web host. I’ve been using Dreamhost for some of my other blogs, so I’ve decided to move everything together. What does this mean for you? Given that some changes will need to be [...]
South Korean robotics company Robotis is well known for their Bioloid line of robotics kits, but the firm is also positioning itself as a provider of robotics platforms for the educational market. Their new Ollo product line is a constructable robot kit aimed squarely at young robot builders, specifically those aged 7 to 10. That [...]
If you’re looking for a smallish example of a tiny robot, feast your eyes on this little critter. I found this over at TechRepublic.com, featured in a gallery depicting unusual uses for dead PCs. According to the picture caption, this miniature robotic vehicle was created using the “floppy eject motors from a mac.” Want to [...]
Microsoft has clearly come a long way on the robotics front, and proved the point by demonstrating a functional robot at the TechEd 2008 Developers conference that was developed using the Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio. The robot was dubbed the BallmerBot, and made its appearance during the Bill Gates keynote. This Hobbit-sized device sported an [...]
When your office environment is genuinely filled with people who are rocket scientists, chances are that you’re bound to come up a bright idea or two. Such is the case with JPL’s ATHLETE (All-Terrain Hex-Legged Extra-Terrestrial Explorer) robot, which was developed by JPL with the help of Boeing, Stanford University, and NASA’s Johnson and Ames [...]
- 2006 CES Report: First look at the Mindstorms NXT (Part 1) January 5, 2006
- Introducing nxtbot.com January 2, 2006
- 2006 CES Report: First Look at the Mindstorms NXT (Part 3) January 17, 2006
- 2006 CES Report: First look at the Mindstorms NXT (Part 2) January 9, 2006
- nxtbot.com wants you… January 19, 2006
- Java Creator James Gosling Leaves Google for Robotics Firm September 25, 2011
- The Halloween Spiderbot October 31, 2009
- Underwater Vehicle Photo Wins Cambridge University Photography Contest August 22, 2009
- Dinamation: Hunting for Robotic Dinosaurs August 8, 2009
- Panasonic Evolta Cycling Robot to Tackle Le Mans Circuit July 26, 2009
- Franchesca Zeitler: I know a place where they have the robots for sale...
- Ricardo: Hi, my name is Ricardo and I'm writting my master...
- mahmoud: hi i need to ask the name of company that buy The ...
- Term Paper: Obviously created more as an art exercise than as ...
- John Cole: Hello Jeff! I’m new to the NXT community, but...