Only five months after joining Google, Java creator and former Oracle employee James Gosling has announced that he’s leaving the search giant to become the Chief Software Architect for Liquid Robotics, a new firm that develops robots for maritime applications. Gosling posted about the move on his personal website: I’ve surprised myself and made another [...]
Just in time for Halloween, an amateur robotics hobbyist who goes by the handle WGhost9 posted some video in the Trossen Robotics forum of his latest creation: a six-legged, jack-o’-lantern-headed robot. The inventor of the robot calls his creation the Creeper2, and has designed it with expansion in mind. “The Creeper2’s large body contains expansion [...]
It’s not often that an underwater vehicle draws the interest of an artist or photographer, but such is the case with this photo. This pic — snapped by Robert Howshall and Ben Sheppard, undergrads in the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge — took top honors in a Nokia Photography Competition recently held [...]
If you’ve visited a museum over the last decade, chances are good that you’ve come across at least one robotic dinosaur that was created by the now-defunct Dinamation International Corporation. Dinamation was founded in the mid-1980s, and quickly gained fame by supplying life-size robotic dinosaurs to museums, amusement parks, and other venues. The company dissolved [...]
According to story in the Yomiuri Shimbun, Panasonic is planning to pit their diminutive Evolta cycling robot against the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans circuit in France on August 7th. The Evolta—named after the Panasonic AA Evolta batteries that power it—will try to lap the famed road course as many times in possible in [...]
South Korean robotics company Robotis is well known for their Bioloid line of robotics kits, but the firm is also positioning itself as a provider of robotics platforms for the educational market. Their new Ollo product line is a constructable robot kit aimed squarely at young robot builders, specifically those aged 7 to 10. That [...]
If you’re looking for a smallish example of a tiny robot, feast your eyes on this little critter. I found this over at TechRepublic.com, featured in a gallery depicting unusual uses for dead PCs. According to the picture caption, this miniature robotic vehicle was created using the “floppy eject motors from a mac.” Want to [...]
Building a small robot these days is far easier than it used to be, thanks in part to the introduction of products like LEGO Mindstorms and the Vex Robotics Design System. But what if you’re looking for something even simpler to construct, or perhaps you want to introduce robotics to a young child? A new robotics product [...]
While we’re not quite to the level of teleporting cancerous growths from a patient to the medical waste bin yet, Montreal’s Jewish General Hospital (JGH) has taken us a step closer to a future where robotic surgeons may be commonplace. Surgeons at JGH will reportedly use the new robotic, assisted-surgery device to treat gynecological and prostate cancers. According to a [...]
Okay, this may not be breaking news: The Tyco NSECT came out in late 2006, so those of you who’ve heard about this gadget can move on to something more timely. I did come across one of these R/C bugs not long ago while shopping at a local big box store, and the thing looked suitably cool [...]
- 2006 CES Report: First look at the Mindstorms NXT (Part 1) January 5, 2006
- Introducing nxtbot.com January 2, 2006
- 2006 CES Report: First Look at the Mindstorms NXT (Part 3) January 17, 2006
- 2006 CES Report: First look at the Mindstorms NXT (Part 2) January 9, 2006
- nxtbot.com wants you… January 19, 2006
- Java Creator James Gosling Leaves Google for Robotics Firm September 25, 2011
- The Halloween Spiderbot October 31, 2009
- Underwater Vehicle Photo Wins Cambridge University Photography Contest August 22, 2009
- Dinamation: Hunting for Robotic Dinosaurs August 8, 2009
- Panasonic Evolta Cycling Robot to Tackle Le Mans Circuit July 26, 2009
- Franchesca Zeitler: I know a place where they have the robots for sale...
- Ricardo: Hi, my name is Ricardo and I'm writting my master...
- mahmoud: hi i need to ask the name of company that buy The ...
- Term Paper: Obviously created more as an art exercise than as ...
- John Cole: Hello Jeff! I’m new to the NXT community, but...